JAPAN’S POLICY AGAINST THE CRIME OF STALKING
Stalking is a relatively newly criminalized type of behavior that should be brought to public attention and awareness. Through a review of statistical data, the relevant anti-stalking act, media portrayal and social impact, the article aims to provide an overview of Japan’s response to stalking acts. In Japan, stalking is listed as a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment with work and fines. It can be concluded that almost all victims receive additional guidance, however, this has been criticized as insufficient. Statistical studies with a wider scope should be introduced, while the law should be revised regularly and expanded to include clinical therapy for perpetrators.
Keywords: stalking, Japan, legislation
JEL Codes: K14
DOI:10.37708/el.swu.v2i1.8JAPAN’S POLICY AGAINST THE CRIME OF STALKING
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Act on Regulation of Stalking and Similar Acts. (2000). Retrieved from https://elaws.e-gov.go.jp/search/elawsSearch/elaws_search/lsg0500/detail?lawId=412AC1000000081
- Aljazeera. (2014). Japan’s stalking crisis. [Video file] Retrieved from: https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2014/12/japan-stalking-crisis-2014128103943425348.html.
- Beyer, Vicky L. Ladies & The Law: The Murder That Resulted in Japan’s Anti-Stalking Act. 20.12.2018. Savvy Tokyo. Retrieved from https://savvytokyo.com/ladies-the-law-the-murder-that-resulted-in-japans-anti-stalking-act/.
- California Penal Code. Retrieved from: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=15.&part=1.&chapter=2.&article.
- Deutsche Welle. (2019). Japan: Journalist wins high-profile #MeToo case. Retrieved from https://www.dw.com/en/japan-journalist-wins-high-profile-metoo-case/a-51715924
- Itakura, K. (2019). Setting Stalkers on the Road to Rehabilitation. The Nippon Communications Foundation. Retrieved from https://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/d00504/setting-stalkers-on-the-road-to-rehabilitation.html.
- Itakura, K. (2019). Uchizawa Junko: Confessions of a Japanese Stalking Victim. The Nippon Communications Foundation. Retrieved from https://www.nippon.com/en/people/bg900061/uchizawa-junko-confessions-of-a-japanese-stalking-victim.html?cx_recs_click=true.
- Merriam-Webster.com Legal Dictionary, Merriam-Webster. Retrieved from https://www.merriam-webster.com/legal/stalking. Accessed 27 May. 2020.
- Mullen, P. E., Pathé, M., & Purcell, R. (2000). Stalkers and their victims. Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam032/99044607.pdf.
- National Police Agency of Japan. (2020). Response to stalker and domestic violence cases. Retrieved from https://www.npa.go.jp/safetylife/seianki/stalker/R1_ponti.pdf.
- NPO Humanity. Retrieved from https://www.npo-humanity.org/en/.
- Smith, S. G., Zhang, X., Basile, K. C., Merrick, M. T., Wang, J., Kresnow, M., & Chen, J. (2018). The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2015 Data Brief – Updated Release. Atlanta, Georgia. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/2015data-brief508.pdf.
- Trouble Kaiketsu Detective Agency LLC. Koganei stalker attempted murder case. (2016) Retrieved from https://xn--lck1a7b2mb.jp/casefile_item/koganei
- Trouble Kaiketsu Detective Agency LLC. Zushi Stalker murder case. (2012) Retrieved from https://xn--lck1a7b2mb.jp/casefile_item/zushi
- Trouble Kaiketsu Detective Agency LLC. Okegawa Stalker murder case. (1999) Retrieved from https://xn--lck1a7b2mb.jp/casefile_item/okegawa
- Yoshimatsu, I. (2015) Fighting for new laws to protect women in Japan. [Video file] Retrieved from http://www.tedxkyoto.com/events/tedxkyoto-2015/fighting-for-new-laws-to-protect-women-in-japan-ikumi-yoshimatsu-tedxkyoto.