THE IMPACT OF OTA – TRANSFORMING CONTEMPORARY TOURISTS’ INTENTIONS
Modern hotel bookers claim to switch moods to the digital distribution model of hospitality services. A survey conducted in Bulgaria among frequent travellers reveal their attitudes when making a hotel room reservation. Taking into account the implementation of contemporary digital technologies in everyday life this article is observing the main distribution channels that are used in hotel industry. Compared are the preferences of the different age groups using a questionnaire distributed among them. Online Travel Agencies (OTA) platforms and hotels both compete and collaborate to attract customers in the worldwide web. The results of the survey reveal an ongoing process of digitalization even in sectors highly dependent on human capital. The need for remodelling market strategies of travel companies and adjusting their business performance while taking into account the trends and expectations of consumers is visible. Digitalization of the hotel reservation process in Bulgaria and the domination of Booking.com as a leading OTA confirms the fact that the domestic hotel sector follows modern world tendencies.
Keywords: OTA, hotel, reservation, Booking.com
JEL Codes: D12, G41, Z30, Z33
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Berne, C., Garcia-Gonzalez M., & Mugica, J. (2012). How ICT Shifts the Power Balance of Tourism Distribution Channels. Tourism Management, 33(1), 205–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2011.02.004
- Bizirgianni, I., & Dionysopoulou, P. (2013). The influence of tourist trends of youth tourism through social media (SM) & information and communication technologies (ICTs). Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.02.102
- Bonazzi, R., & Schegg, R. (2016). An Alternative to Online Travel Agencies for Retention of Hotel Customers. 2016 ENTRENOVA Conference Proceedings, Retrieved from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3282253
- Buhalis, D., & Licata M. C. (2001). The Future e-Tourism intermediaries. Tourism Management, 23(3), 207-220.
- Chevalier, J.A. (2002). Free riders issues and Internet retailing. Retrieved from http://www/ftc.gov/opp/ecommerce/anticompetitive
- Chiou, J. S., Wu, L. Y., & Chou, S. Y. (2012). You do the service but they take the order. Journal of Business Research, 65(7), 883–889. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.06.035
- Chui, H. C., Hsieh, Y. C., Roan, J., Tseng, K. J., & Hsieh, J. K. (2011). The challenge for multichannel services: cross-channel free-riding behaviour. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 10(2), 268–277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2010.07.002
- Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P., Chen, H., & Williams, M. D. (2011, September). A Meta-analysis of the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology (UTAUT). In IFIP international working conference on governance and sustainability in information systems-managing the transfer and diffusion of it. 155-170. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-24148-2_10
- European Commission. (2017). Report on the monitoring exercise carried out in the online hotel booking sector by EU competition authorities in 2016. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/competition/ecn/hotel_monitor ing_report_en.pdf
- Filieri, R., & McLeay, F. (2013). E-WOM and Accommodation: An Analysis of the Factors That Influence Travelers’ Adoption of Information from Online Reviews. Journal of Travel Research, 53(1), 44-57. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0047287513481274
- Fotis, J., Buhalis, D., & Rossides, N. (2012). Social Media Use and Impact during the Holiday Travel Planning Process, January 2012, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-7091-1142-0_2
- Gazzoli, G., Kim, W. G., & Palakurthi, R. (2008). Online distribution strategies and competition: Are the global hotel companies getting it right? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 20(4), 375-387. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110810873499
- Green, C., & Lomanno, M. (2014). Distribution Channel analysis: A guide for hotels. AH&LA and STR Special Report. Retrieved from https://invattur.softvt.com/ficheros/noticias/107141153A_distribution_channel_analysis,_guid_for_hotels_(1).pdf
- Gretzel, U., & Yoo, K. (2008). Use and Impact of Online Travel Reviews, Conference: Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism. ENTER 2008, Proceedings of the International Conference in Innsbruck. Austria, 2008. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-211-77280-5_4
- Gretzel, U., Yoo, K., & Purifoy, M. (2007). Online Travel Review Study: Role and Impact of Online Travel Reviews. Austin, TX: Laboratory for Intelligent Systems in Tourism, Texas A&M University.
- Inversini, A. & Masiero, L. (2014). Selling Rooms Online: The Use of Social Media and Online Travel Agents. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 26(2), 272 – 292. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-03-2013-0140
- Kim, H., Kim, T., & Shin, S. W. (2009). Modelling roles of subjective norms and e-Trust in customers’ acceptance of airline B2C eCommerce websites. Tourism Management, 30(2):266-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.07.001
- Kotler, Ph., Bowens, J. & Makens, J. (2014). Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism: 6th Edition, Pearson.
- Law, R., Chan, I., & Goh, C. (2007). Where to find the lowest hotel room rates on the internet? The case of Hong Kong. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 19(6), 495–506. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110710775156
- Law, R., Leung, R., Lo, A., Leung, D., & Fong, L. (2015). Distribution channel in hospitality and tourism. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(3), 431 – 452. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-11-2013-0498
- Lowe, M., Williams, A., Shaw, G., & Cudworth, K. (2012). Self-Organizing Innovation Networks, Mobile Knowledge Carriers and Diasporas: Insights from a Pioneering Boutique Hotel Chain. Journal of Economic Geography, 12(5), 1113-1138. DOI: 10.1093/jeg/lbs021
- Martin-Fuentes, E., & Mellinas, J. (2018). Hotels that most rely on Booking.com – online travel agencies (OTAs) and hotel distribution channels. Tourism Review, 73(4), 465-479. https://doi.org/10.1108/TR-12-2017-0201
- Mellinas, J. (2019). Dependency of Spanish urban hotels on Booking.com. 9th World Conference for Graduate Research in Tourism Hospitality and Leisure, Cartagena, Spain. https://doi.org/10.3727/108354219X15458295631909
- Pera, R., & Viglia, G. (2016). Exploring how video digital storytelling builds relationship experiences. Psychology and Marketing, 33(12), 1142-1150. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20951
- Phocuswright Research (2020). European travel market advances thanks to online mobile and leading suppliers. Retrieved from https://tinyurl.com/y9yrjmac
- Heitz-Spahn, S. (2013). Cross-channel free-riding consumer behaviour in a multichannel environment: An investigation of shopping motives, sociodemographic and product categories. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 20(6), 570–578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2013.07.006
- Schegg, R. (2018). European Hotel Distribution Study Results for the Reference Year 2017, Institute of Tourism, HES-SO Valais, May 18, 2018. Retrieved from https://tinyurl.com/y4cavmmx
- Schegg, R., Stangl, B., Fux, M. & Inversini, A. (2013). Distribution Channels and Management in the Swiss Hotel Sector. Proceedings of Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, 554–565. Presented at the ENTER2013, Innsbruck: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-36309-2_47
- Stangl, B., Inversini, A., & Schegg, R. (2016). Hotels’ dependency on online intermediaries and their chosen distribution channel portfolios: three country insights. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 52, 87-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.09.015
- Starkov, M., & Price, J. (2007). What Hot Internet Marketing Topics Are on the Minds of Hoteliers? HeBs Digital. Retrieved from https://www.hospitalitynet.org/opinion/4032615.html
- Van Baal, S., & Dach, C. (2005). Free-riding and customer retention across retailers’ channel. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 19(2), 75–85. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20036
- Vermeulen, I., & Seegers, D. (2009). Tried and Tested: The Impact of Online Hotel Reviews on Consumer Consideration. Tourism Management, 30(1), 123-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.04.008
- Vidal, B. (2019, December 05). The New Technology and Travel Revolution. Business Intelligence & Analytics. Retrieved from https://tinyurl.com/vj7ktrh
- Ye, Q., Law, R., & Gu, B. (2009). The Impact of Online User Reviews on Hotel Room Sales. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 28(1), 180-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2008.06.011