THE LESSONS LEARNED FROM THOMAS COOK FAILURE. IS IT BREXIT?
The aim of this research paper is to discuss market failure of Thomas Cook and analyse the reasons behind the market failure of Thomas Cook Group and how outdated technology, having high debts and did Brexit lead to its collapse. Further on analysis of the reasons for failure supported by literature review across different economic schools has been elaborated. The paper provides clarification to the characteristics of the airlines and their entry barriers taking into consideration the tour operator. Further, it is described how Thomas Cook collapse affected Africa and Europe. Lastly, the conclusion is about the losses occurred in Thomas Cook Company, how other firms can avoid failure and the direct negative impact of the BREXIT on the company.
Keywords: debt problems, bankruptcy, tourism
JEL Codes: F34, G33, Z32
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Badcock, J. (2019, October 13). Thomas Cook collapse a big threat to Spain’s tourist industry. BBC. Retrieved August 13, 2020 from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49997775
- BBC News. (2019, September 23). Thomas Cook collapses as last-ditch rescue talks fail. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49791249
- Corporate Finance Institute. (2015). Market Failure – Definition, Causes, and How to Address. Retrieved from https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/economics/market-failure/
- Dollery, B. E., & Wallis, J. L. (1997). Market Failure, Government Failure, Leadership and Public Policy. Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 8(2), 113–126. Doi: 10.1177/02601079×9700800202
- Economic Investigations. (2015, September 9). Handout: Barriers to Entry – Tour Operators. Retrieved from http://peped.org/economicinvestigations/handout-barriers-to-entry-tour-operators/
- Evans, K. (2019, February 11). Barriers to Entry in the Airline Industry. Biz fluent. Retrieved from https://bizfluent.com/list-7576197-barriers-entry-airline-industry.html
- Hayden-Lefebvre, T. J. (2019, September 29). The Impact of Thomas Cook’s Collapse on Tourism. Simple Flying. Retrieved from https://simpleflying.com/thomas-cook-collapse-tourism/
- Hazledine, T. (2010). Oligopoly price discrimination with many prices. Economics Letters, 109(3), 150–153. doi:10.1016/j.econlet.2010.09.009 Hernandez, V. (2020, January 16). The Collapse of Thomas Cook: What Happened and Why. International Banker. Retrieved from https://internationalbanker.com/brokerage/the-collapse-of-thomas-cook-what-happened-and-why/
- Kollewe, J. (2019). Brexit chaos hits Thomas Cook as losses mount to£ 1.5 bn. The Guardian. Available at: https://tinyurl.com/y42xjyzt.
- Leadbeater, C. (2019, September 20). The history of Thomas Cook, from tours for teetotallers to boozy packages in Spain. The Telegraph. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tours/history-of-thomas-cook/
- Levarlet, F., Seri, P., Zingaretti, C., Hrelja, D., & Lorgeoux, E. (2018). Assessing the Impact of the UK’s Withdrawal from the EU on Regions and Cities in EU27. European Committee of the Regions. Doi:10.2863/572180. Retrieved from https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/38798c7b-387c-11e8-b5fe-01aa75ed71a1
- McCormick, M. (2019, September 23). Thomas Cook: Collapse of UK’s oldest travel group reverberates around the world – as it happened. Financial Times. Retrieved from https://www.ft.com/content/18c6356f-d806-3fef-9ff7-29fb80a343c7
- Neate, R., & Smith, H. (2019, September 23). Fallout from Thomas Cook collapse felt across Europe and Africa. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/23/fallout-thomas-cook-collapse-felt-across-europe-africa
- Rubin, R. M., & Joy, J. N. (2005). Where are the airlines headed? Implications of airline industry structure and change for consumers. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39(1), 215-228.
- Sims, S. (2019, September 23). How Could Travel Giant Thomas Cook Fail? The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/travel/why-thomas-cook-travel-collapsed.html
- Stavins, J. (1996). Price Discrimination in the Airline Market: The Effect of Market Concentration. Review of Economics and Statistics. Doi/10.1162/rest.2001.83.1.200
- Stubley, P. (2019, May 16). Thomas Cook blames Brexit for £1.5bn loss. Independent. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/thomas-cook-share-price-profit-loss-results-brexit-travel-flights-a8916061.html
- Thomas Cook. (2019, September 23). Share Price. Retrieved from https://www.thomascookgroup.com/investors/share_price
- Thomas cook annual report (2018). Thomas Cook Group plc. Retrieved from: https://www.annualreports.com/HostedData/AnnualReports/PDF/LSE_TCG_2018.pdf
- Toh, M. (2020, March 5). UK airline Flybe collapses as coronavirus crisis deals the final blow. CNN Business. Retrieved from https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/04/business/flybe-collapse-2020/index.html
- Whyte, P. (2019, September 30). Debt, Egos and Bad Decisions: How Thomas Cook Failed to Adapt to a New Era of Travel. Skift. Retrieved from https://skift.com/2019/09/30/debt-egos-and-bad-decisions-how-thomas-cook-failed-to-adapt-to-a-new-era-of-travel/