PROSPECTS OF INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL ART: CASE OF ETHEREUM AND NON-FUNGIBLE TOKEN (NFT)
This paper focuses on the technology impact via Blockchain to change consumer behavior in the digital art industry. The paper objectives are three folds: first, analyze the impact of Ethereum in selling digital artwork and on the bank world. Second, investigate the effects of Non-Fungible Token on the art industry. Third, highlight how people can sell their artworks, tweets, or even memes for thousands of dollars. Fourth, explain the effect of Ethereum in creating value for artwork and why a meme that includes nothing unique to be sold for an unbelievable price?
The paper provides insights on the future of the digital arts industry and the rational behavior of the developers, artists, and even customers, as the three parties shape the business of the NFL’s success. It reflects on the investment behavior in digital arts and the importance of a secure long-term investment for a niche segment that seeks to satisfy their need of acquiring unique products. The paper serves as a guide for digital art and focuses on how AI applications create profitable markets.
Keywords: Blockchain, Ethereum, NFT, Crypto art, mining
JEL Codes: L17, L22, L86, L82, O31
CITE AS: [………….]PROSPECTS OF INVESTMENT IN DIGITAL ART: CASE OF ETHEREUM AND NON-FUNGIBLE TOKEN (NFT)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ante, L. (2021). The non-fungible token (NFT) market and its relationship with Bitcoin and Ethereum. Blockchain Research Lab. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3861106.
- Blockchain.com. (2021). The total number of unique Blockchain.com wallets created. Retrieved from https://www.Blockchain.com/charts/my-wallet-n-users.
- Clark, M. (2021). NFTs, explained. THE VERGE. Retrieved from https://www.theverge.com/22310188/nft-explainer-what-is-Blockchain-crypto-art-faq.
- Cuthbertson, A. (2021). How Bad are Nfts for the Environment? Independent. Retrieved from https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/sustainable-living/nft-environment-climate-change-crypto-b1835220.html.
- Dannen, C. (2017). Introducing Ethereum and solidity. Apress, Berkeley, CA. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4842-2535-6
- De Filippi, P., Shimony, O., & Tenorio-Fornés, A. (2021). Reputation. Internet Policy Review, 10(2). Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.14763/2021.2.1547.
- Feng, Z. K., Niu, W. J., Zhang, R., Wang, S., & Cheng, C. T. (2019). Operation rule derivation of hydropower reservoir by k-means clustering method and extreme learning machine based on particle swarm optimization. Journal of hydrology, 576, 229-238. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.06.045.
- Franceschet, M. (2020). Art for space. Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH), 13(3), 1-9. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1145/3402443.
- Gupta, S. S. (2017). Blockchain. The foundation behind Bitcoin [Slides]. Retrieved from https://www.isical.ac.in/~debrup/slides/Bitcoin.pdf
- Iyengar, R., & Sarlin, J. (2021). NFTs are suddenly everywhere, but they have some big problems. Action News Now. Retrieved from http://bridge-stage.occipital.com/books/content.php?filename=eric.cole&pub=0f72be95305f517d8585653cad5faad4.
- Kastrenakes, J. (2021). Your Million-Dollar Nft can Break Tomorrow if you’re Not Careful. THE VERGE. Retrieved from https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/25/22349242/nft-metadata-explained-art-crypto-urls-links-ipfs.
- Kay, G. (2021). Selling crypto art can come with huge hidden fees, leading some people to lose hundreds of dollars. Business Insider. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/nft-investing-crypto-art-what-is-a-gas-fee-explained-2021-3.
- Natoli, C., & Gramoli, V. (2016). The blockchain anomaly. In IEEE 15th International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA), pp. 310-317. Retrieved from doi: 10.1109/NCA.2016.7778635.
- Nft’s street. (2021). How much does it cost to sell NFT art? NFT’S STREET. Retrieved October 10, 2021 from https://www.nftsstreet.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-sell-nft-art/.
- Nightihgale, R. (2021, March 29). What do you actually own if you buy an NFT? Makeuseof. Retrieved October 10, 2021 from https://www.makeuseof.com/what-do-you-actually-own-if-you-buy-an-nft/.
- Nofer, M., Gomber, P., Hinz, O., & Schiereck, D. (2017). Blockchain. Business & Information Systems Engineering, 59(3), 183-187. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1007/s12599-017-0467-3
- NonFungible. (2021). NFT Market History. Retrieved from https://nonfungible.com/market/history.
- Panescu, A. T., & Manta, V. (2018). Smart contracts for research data rights management over the ethereum blockchain network. Science & Technology Libraries, 37(3), 235-245. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1080/0194262X.2018.1474838.
- Reyburn, S. (2021, March 30). Art’s NFT Question: Next Frontier in Trading, or a New Form of Tulip? The New York Times. Retrieved October 10, 2021 from https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/arts/design/nft-bubble.html.
- Sajana, P., Sindhu, M., & Sethumadhavan, M. (2018). On blockchain applications: hyperledger fabric and ethereum. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 118(18), 2965-2970. Retrieved from https://www.acadpubl.eu/jsi/2018-118-18/articles/18c/84.pdf.
- Schneider, T. (2021, March 22). The Gray Market: Why the Hack of Nifty Gateway Raises Far-Reaching Questions About the Entire NFT Market. Artnet News. Retrieved October 10, 2021 from https://news.artnet.com/opinion/nifty-gateway-nft-hack-gray-market-1953549.
- Surowiecki, J. (2021, March 8). Why the NFT Craze Is a Bubble Waiting to Pop. Marker.medium. . Retrieved October 10, 2021 from https://marker.medium.com/why-the-nft-craze-is-a-bubble-waiting-to-pop-ad35922ca210.
- Tikhomirov, S. (2017). Ethereum: state of knowledge and research perspectives. Foundations and Practice of Security, 206-221. Retrieved from https://www.springerprofessional.de/ethereum-state-of-knowledge-and-research-perspectives/15471472.
- Trautman, L. J. (2021). Virtual Art and Non-fungible Tokens. SSRN 3814087. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3814087.
- Vujičić, D., Jagodić, D., & Ranđić, S. (2018, March). Blockchain technology, bitcoin, and Ethereum: A brief overview. In 17th international symposium INFOTEH-JAHORINA (INFOTEH), IEEE, 1-6. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/INFOTEH.2018.8345547.
- Wallace, B. (2020, March 2). The Twin Blockchain Entrepreneurs Who Dream of “Digital Air Jordans” . New York Magazine. Retrieved from: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/duncan-and-griffin-cock-foster-nifty-gateway-gemini.html.