PROTECTING THE RIGHTS OF CRIME VICTIMS FOR THE SAKE OF PEOPLE BROUGHT TO CRIMINAL LIABILITY
The article raises issues related to the lack of effective mechanisms for protection of the rights of victims of crime under the Bulgarian Penal Code. The author discusses the shortcomings in the criminal proceedings and how the application of the norms for protection of the accused’s consignment in the commission of the crime, in fact, limits the right to defense of the victim. An overview of the existing regulation of the problem in the European legal system has been made. Finally, the author examines the contradictory case law and how it in itself restricts the victim’s right to a fair trial.
Keywords: criminal law, European legal system, victim, accused, court trial
JEL Codes: K42
CITE AS: [………….]PROTECTING THE RIGHTS OF CRIME VICTIMS FOR THE SAKE OF PEOPLE BROUGHT TO CRIMINAL LIABILITY
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Stoynov, A. (2017). Criminal law – in general (first edition). Ciela Publishing House.
- Criminal Code of the Republic of Bulgaria
- Criminal Procedure Code of the Republic of Bulgaria. (PPC / prom. SG, no. 86/28.10.2005, in force since 29.04.2006).
- Interpretative Decision № 1/2009 under Interpretative Case 1/2008 from General Meeting of the Criminal Colleges of Bulgarian Supreme Court of Cassation.
- Law of protection of persons threatened in connection with criminal procedure. (2004). Retrieved from http://www.legaltheory-forums.org